Dear Residents of the Town of Otisfield,
Our Fire and Emergency First Responders are finding is increasingly difficult to find our neighbors in times of an emergency. The easiest and best way for you to help us is to CLEARLY post your home address. Please take a few minutes to read the following hints and suggestions for placement of residential numbers:
- Number on the Residence: Where the residence is within fifty (50) feet of the edge of the road, the assigned number should be displayed on the front (facing that road) of the residence or structure near the entry door.
- Number at the Street Line: Where the residence or structure is over fifty (50) feet from the road right-of-way, the assigned number should be displayed on a post, fence, wall, mailbox, or on some structure at the property line next to the driveway to the residence or structure.
- For Rural Mail Delivery: If mail is delivered by rural carrier, the mailbox owner should also place their house number and street name on his/her mailbox. Note - It would be advantageous if the mailbox were located on the same side of the road as the residence or structure.
- Size and Color of Numbers: Numbers shall be displayed in a contrasting color and a minimum of four (4) inches in height, six (6) inch preferred, bold block type, and reflective, and should be plainly visible from the road when approaching from either direction. Note - In most cases brass, gold, silver or chrome numbers are hard to see unless on very dark or black backgrounds. Reflective material is highly recommended.
- Interior Location: All residents are encouraged to post the assigned numbers and road name next to their telephone for emergency reference.
While house numbering may seem like an unimportant task on the honey-do list, it is essential to assist us in our response. Please take a minute to read our list of Frequently Asked Questions and help us by making sure that we can find you quickly when you need us most.
Kyle Jordan, Chief
Otisfield Fire Department